"Every fallen angel prays for a second chance to fly again. And over time these tired wings have given in to the same old sins.
You're the only one who makes me feel like I could ever fly again."

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Morning Adventures


This morning I woke up at 4 and watched movies. Then I kinda slept again and suddenly it was 8 o'clock. I'm briefly going to fill you in on my bunk partner. No, we are not sharing but we are both top bunkers and if we were really tall our feet would touch when we lie down. Anyway, he is old and grey and looks about 67 or something and he always sleeps! Every day when I go into the room he is sleeping. Last night at around 8 when I was going to my bed I passed him as he was leaving the room. I didn't really think of it except this morning at four his bed was suddenly empty and it was still so when I went for breakfast at 8. When I came back around 8:45 he was sitting in bed wearing a leather jacket and texting. So I have the idea that he is either a hardcore partier or a pimp. Who else sleeps all day and stays out all night while living in a hostel? 
Around 10 I decided to take a walk through a little alley I keep passing and I found a market, a liquor store, and a drugstore. I just wandered the streets taking in the morning business in a little spanish town. The buildings reach up so high and beneath various windows are balconies from which colourful clothes hang drying. When I glanced in front I me again I realized I had stepped off the street and into a park full of stone arches and playgrounds and trees. It was beautiful and mystic and seemed like I had stepping into an old castle. I came across some old men playing a game that looked like "Boche" and I watched them play for a while. One person would roll the ball in an attempt to knock their opponents ball out of the way and everyone else would stand around with cigars in their mouths humming and hawing about what kind if throw it was. I gestured to my camera and asked "photo?" And one old man said yes so I snapped away. Shortly after, I was making my way back to the hostel when someone behind me said "hello! Where are you from?" I turned to see an older black man carrying a loaf of bread. 
"Uh... Canada." I told him. He began talking to me in accented English and as we walked he casually spoke spanish and said hello to a few people we passed. Suddenly we stopped at a door by the sidewalk and he asked "you want to come in for tea and bread? One day I will make you African food! But for now you can see my house." I didn't really know what to say but I didn't get a bad vibe from this guy so I said yes. And I walked into the smallest apartment I've ever seen. The man, Teru as he was called in Spain, showed me the shop, the kitchen and the living room- all basically one place. It was fascinating especially as he pointed to closed doors and staircases and said "people live there and there." About 6 people lived in private quarters all in this tiny apartment. We had tea and I told him I had to get back to my hostel to meet my friends. I now am sitting here recounting the most random adventure that ever came from accepting tea. 
In other entertainment, I am somewhat friends with two brothers from Ohio and they are pretty cool. They asked me if I wanted to go to the gym with them and i said I would meet them there. I decided I only wanted to swim but I found out that if I want to swim I must wear a bathing cap. And since those feel like condoms for the head I decided to forgo the gym altogether. So unfortunately those boys with have to work out on their own. I have no clue what I will do for the rest of the day but I don't seem to have much problem finding stories. 
I hope you are sleeping well as I write this. Much love 
Sarah 




No comments:

Post a Comment